Diamonds are the hardest mineral known on earth, but you’ll want these handy tips to keep them safe, in good condition and sparkling!!
We recommend taking your diamond jewellery off before you visit the gym, especially if you do circuit training or weights. While your diamonds are hard, the platinum or gold of your rings may get scratched and over time may cause unnecessary wear and tear on the alloy or settings.
We also recommend you minimise exposure to sand, and dirt while at the beach or gardening. Grease from sunscreen will temporarily dull your diamonds, and the sand may cause scratches or get lodged in the setting.
We advise storing your diamond pieces in a jewellery box with separate compartments for each item, or in a soft pouch / roll. It is important to make sure each article doesn’t rub against another because a diamond can scratch another diamond, as well as causing scratches to the gold or platinum.
We recommend you bring your Giulians jewellery in once a year for a complimentary professional clean and check-up. This allows us to assess the wear on an item and advise if anything needs to be addressed.
Depending on how often you wear them, you may wish to have your diamond rings fully refurbished every 2 – 5 years. White gold items may also require rhodium plating, which needs to be re-done once polished. Usually only rings will need a full repolishing, as pendants and earrings sustain less wear, but they do benefit from a professional clean in our ultrasonic. Polishing and rhodium plating is done for a small fee.
It is possible to clean your diamonds at home with some basic household items and the following method.
- Fill 2 small bowls with warm (not hot or boiling) water. Do not use the sink, as small items may accidentally fall down the drain.
- To one bowl add a little dishwashing liquid to the water and gently mix. If you have some cloudy ammonia, you can add a drop of this to the water as well, but make sure to follow all safety instructions on the bottle and do so in a well ventilated area. Ammonia is ideal if you have grease from sunscreen or moisturizer built up on your diamonds as it is a degreaser.
- Leave the 2nd bowl as clean water for rinsing.
- Sit your pieces in the warm soapy water for 5 minutes to soak. This will help soften any grease and dirt under the settings.
- Using an old soft toothbrush (a kids size toothbrush is great as they are super soft and have a small head) gently poke the bristles in and around the diamonds. Don’t scrub vigorously, just use gentle circular motions.
- Once brushed, place the cleaned item in the 2nd bowl of fresh water and rinse off any soapy residue.
Place your items on a piece of kitchen towel in a safe place to air dry, or gently dry with the paper towel.